Author Connie Suttle

Author Connie Suttle:
Urban Fantasy/ Young Adult

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Nexus Echo

In Blood Royal, you'll get a taste of Nexus Echo. It was employed a bit in Blood Domination, it just wasn't completely evident. It is mentioned in Blood Royal, but nobody ever explains how it works. So I thought I'd give you the facts now, only I'd let another character explain it. (hint: it's not Lissa, but Kiarra)

"Nexus Echo is an ancient trick the Larentii devised, to listen for key words, names and phrases. If Pheligar is employing Nexus Echo and his name is mentioned—he knows it. The trouble is, he'll never bother to explain how it works, he'll just fold his long blue arms over his chest and pretend you didn't ask. Therefore, I'll explain it as best I can.

This is how Nexus Echo works: imagine the entire planet is a lake. Now, imagine that someone places an invisible net over that lake. It doesn't sink—it floats on the surface. With me so far? The net is tuned to certain words, phrases or names, spoken by certain people. Any time any of those words are spoken by these people, it's like dropping a pebble into the lake. The pebble causes ripples, which make the invisible net bounce. The net caster has an ear tuned to that net. He knows when the ripples come and he can go in an instant if he feels his presence is warranted. Is it nosy in the extreme? Sometimes. But then being nosy means nothing to the Larentii; they are never worried or embarrassed over any information, and think the rest of us are just being silly over the whole thing. I must admit, however, that many of the Saa Thalarr and their healers, along with a few other powerful races, have adopted Nexus Echo and employ it at times. Is it a logistical nightmare? The simple answer is yes, unless you are Larentii."

Okay, it's me again. And on another note—I love the Larentii. I think every woman should have access to one, just for the trilling alone. (I'll explain that, someday) And while I love Pheligar, he's my second favorite Larentii. My favorite Larentii is his son, Renegar. Also a tale for another day. Going back to work, now. November 15th is coming.
Connie

23 comments:

  1. Connie,
    You're getting way to good at leaving us little nuggets of wonder!!
    Only 8 more days!! Can't wait, but, I will of course.
    Have a good evening

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait till next week!, Kindle Fire and Blood Royal all in the same week!

    P.S- I will let you know what I think of the kindle fire, My friend is thinking of getting the new B&N tablet as well so I might to get a chance to play and be able to comment on it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Dare :) I'd love to hear how both work!
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the explanation and the insight! Always a joy to read your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the preview and explanation of Nexus Echo. It is an intrigueing idea. Am awaiting your new book anxiously.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Pony :)
    I've been working on the ending, and I'll probably post more about that after Blood Royal is released. For now, I think I need caffeine and and a few of Lissa's talents :D
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know you're busy getting your book ready for us!! Only 5 more days. I'm not counting today because it's almost over and I really can't count tomorrow because it almost here and I don't count the release day. Like the way I do math...lol
    Anyway, have you been keeping an eye on the ratings on Amazon? Just so you know: against all fantasy e-books, yours are 19, 21, 31, and 35 out of the top 100.
    Great going.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Dolly :)
    In all honesty, I never expected to to get anywhere close to those numbers. Thanks for the heads up and have a wonderful evening.
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just found ... and finished reading ... Lissa's stories. They are a lot of fun and I can hardly wait for the 15th!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Shana! Blood Royal is almost ready :)
    Hope your day is a happy one--
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just found your series a week ago and I'm ready for this one to come out! I SO love your books. Whatevery you are doing- Keep doing it! As much as I'd like to see Lissa kick everyone's b*tt for mistreating her, its your story to be told and I enjoy every letter of it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you, Melanie!
    I'm giving Blood Royal a final run-through, so it won't be long now :) Thanks for posting and have a wonderful weekend!
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohh the waiting is killing me. OCD really does suck when it comes to waiting. I have to tell you I love your books. I haven't had suck a lack of patience since the Fever series. That places you right up there with my favorite author. Please tell me the next ones with be out just as quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you! I've tentatively scheduled Blood Queen (#6) for December 15th. I will admit that I have my work cut out for me on that one--I'll try to explain after Blood Royal is released. Thanks for writing!
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Man, Connie - a new book two months in a row?!?! Wow! Of course, you know we're going to get all excited about that and think you're wonderful and then we're going to EXPECT you to give us one every month and get cranky with you if you don't (and yes, I DO think readers have unrealistic expectations and yes, I do include myself in that category!). :-) Seriously, I'm excited - and thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, Mary :)
    These books were written already, they just needed editing and minor revisions. If I were writing them as we went along, I'd be in real trouble! I just decided to publish them in July this year (I began writing Blood Wager in March, 2009, and finished the series--so far--in 2010). It was great hearing from you--thanks for posting and have a happy Sunday!
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Blood Royal is listed on Amazon but with no price and you can't download it yet. Chopping at the bit here.
    It didn't show up until I typed in "Connie Suttle Blood Royal"
    Can't wait.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now available for sale, Blood Royal. Just bought it. Can't wait till later this evening to begin.
    Thanks Connie.
    Have a great launch day

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks, Dolly! I submitted the book to Amazon just before midnight local time last night, and I didn't expect it to come up so quickly (I'm grateful that it did). Now I'm off to fight with the website, because I always go a couple rounds with it before it cooperates :)
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Connie,
    I just finished reading Blood Royal on my new kindle fire, and both are wonderful. Do you have a release date for the next book in the series yet? I read Blood Royal in three hours, I just could not put it down. You are an amazing and talented writer. hope to hear from you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks, Ryan! I've been hearing great things about the kindle fire, too. I really want to check it out for myself :) I'm so glad you enjoyed Blood Royal, and I am working on Blood Queen. It needs revisions, but I promise to work very hard to hit a December release date. I'll keep everyone posted on this blog, on the website and my Facebook page as things progress. Thanks for writing!
    Connie

    ReplyDelete